Follow Us:

Have Questions?
We have Answers

Click Here to send us a question
and to receive answers from our Experts

When Should I Consult a Doctor for Senior Depression?

by Dr. Patrick Arbore, Elder Abuse & Depression Expert
May 03, 2012

Question: Should I consult a psychiatrist or a psychologist to help my mother who I think is suffering from depression?

Answer: If you think your mother is suffering with depression, I would strongly urge you to arrange a consultation as soon as possible with a mental health professional. Whether this individual is a psychiatrist or a psychologist is not as relevant to me as to whether they have experience treating older adults. Depression is not a normal part of aging. However, many people, including professionals, have difficulty assessing the difference between aging and depression.

Have a Question? Submit here.

Dr. Patrick Arbore is the Founder and Director of the Center for Elderly Suicide Prevention and Grief Related Services (CESP), a program offered by the Institute on Aging in San Francisco. Dr. Arbore conducts workshops and lectures locally and nationally on aging-related subjects. He is the author of numerous articles and book chapters on suicide prevention, bereavement, suffering, etc., including a chapter he co-authored in the book, “When Professionals Weep".

See more of Dr. Patrick Arbore's expert answers

Your Answers and Comments

Post your answer or comment
You must be logged in to post a comment

Previous Expert Q & A

More Previous Expert Q&A