Follow Us:

Have Questions?
We have Answers

Click Here to send us a question
and to receive answers from our Experts

Do I Need an Interior Decorator and Aging-in-Place Expert for a Home Remodel?

by Mike Dodd, Home Remodeling Expert
July 16, 2015

Question: Is it necessary to hire an interior designer if I already have an aging-in-place expert on my home remodel team?

Answer: It is not necessary to include an interior designer on your home remodel team unless you aren't comfortable with the design choices and/or recommendations that your current team has brought to the table. Interior designers typically have a good working knowledge of how a client wants to live in their home and will assist in selecting materials to achieve the overall aesthetic that is desired. There isn't a standard answer to this question, however.  It really depends upon the client's level of trust and confidence in the team members. Aging in place experts can come in all forms and sizes: remodeling contractors, occupational therapists, physical therapists, interior designers, architects, etc. and each one will likely have a different spin on what's important. It should all begin with the design and how that will accommodate the needs of the inhabitants. Coordinating all the material selections that go into a remodel can be daunting, of course, and many folks find comfort in engaging a resource to bring all those components to the table in a comprehensive package. 

Mike Dodd is the founder and President of Lifewise Renovations, that combines home remodeling project management with the expertise of health care professionals, to make it possible live safely and comfortably at home regardless of age or physical ability. As a member of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), Mike holds the Certified Aging In Place Specialist (CAPS) designation.

See more of Mike Dodd's expert answers

Your Answers and Comments

Post your answer or comment
You must be logged in to post a comment

Previous Expert Q & A

More Previous Expert Q&A