Have Questions?
We have Answers

Click Here to send us a question
and to receive answers from our Experts

Is there a State Program for Prescription Drugs?

by Jeffrey Asher, Estate Planning Expert
April 05, 2013

Question: Is There a State Program for Prescription Drugs?

Answer: The most obvious government program to help your dad with prescription drugs is a “Medicare Part D Plan”. Medicare Part D Plans are part of the federal Medicare program. These plans help cover the costs of prescription drugs. Medicare Part D Plans are run by Medicare-approved private insurance companies.  Your dad must enroll and pay a premium. You can find more information at www.Medicare.gov.

For those individuals who lack insurance coverage or who are not eligible for other government programs, there are State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs. Not every state has one, so you should check to see if there is a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program in the state in which your dad lives. The programs, called SPAPs, use state funds to pay for a portion of the costs for most prescription drugs, depending on whether your dad meets the enrollment criteria. Otherwise, some State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs offer prescription drugs at a discount because of the state’s bulk-buying power.

Have a Question? Submit here.

Jeffrey Asher is the head of Elder Care Practice at Robinson Brog Leinwand Greene Genovese & Gluck, P.C. Mr. Asher concentrates primarily in the areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law and Medicaid Planning, Asset Protection, Estates and Trusts Administration, and Special Needs Planning. Using various techniques, Mr. Asher gives his clients the peace of mind knowing that their estate plans will protect their loved ones and secure their wealth for the next generation.

See more of Jeffrey Asher's expert answers

Your Answers and Comments


Post your answer or comment
You must be logged in to post a comment

Previous Expert Q & A

More Previous Expert Q&A